Roku Error code 017 is a common error in the Roku streaming devices, and it occurs when your Roku device detects poor wireless signal strength.
Follow the on-screen instructions to solve Error code 017 on Roku & try moving your Roku device & the router closer to each other. Try points 1 and 2 for removing this error.
Improve the Wireless Signal Strength
If the password of your router is correct & other devices can access it but Roku is failing to connect with a wireless network, this can be due to the strength of the wireless signal.
The wireless signal becomes weak when you take your Roku device farther from your router. This also happens when there are more obstacles (like walls and cabinets) between your router & your Roku device. follow these tips for improving your wireless signal.
Restart Your Roku Device and Your Router
- Restart Roku player by doing this, go to Settings>System>System restart. For restarting your Roku TV, go to Settings > System> Power > System restart. Another way to restart is to unplug the Roku device from the power source. After doing so, Roku Error code 017 wait a few moments & reconnect it.
- For restarting your router, check instructions from your ISP or router vendor. Sometimes, you can unplug it & plug it back in. In other cases, you would require pressing a reset button on the device.
- Both devices will restart after a few minutes.
If you once connected your Roku device to your router, it should reconnect automatically. If it is not, complete the network setup process. If you are setting up your Roku device for the first time, then also you require a network setup process.
Improve Your Wireless Connection to Remove Roku Error Code 017
Signal strength can vary because of factors such as the amount of wireless traffic and the usage of other devices on your network. If the results from a connection check display reduce, or you experience connection or playback issues inattentive of the results, try the suggestions below to help improve your wireless connection.
- Eliminate Wireless Interference: Cordless phones, microwave ovens, or other wireless devices near your router can cause wireless interference that may affect the quality of your network connection. Move any equivalent device away from your wireless router.
- Check with Your ISP: Visit the website of your internet service provider, or ISP (usually your cable or phone company), or contact them directly to inquire about any outages or connectivity-related issues. Make sure you confirm that your internet package provides speeds fast enough for streaming.
- Reduce Network Usage by Other Devices: Devices currently accessing the network, such as other streaming players, computers, game consoles, and mobile devices may affect the quality of your network connection. Temporarily stop using any similar device and check if that makes a difference. You may need to reduce the usage of other network devices when using your Roku device.
- Move Your Roku Device or Router:
- Reduce Distance: Roku Error code 017 – Moving your Roku device and router closer to each other will strengthen the wireless signal. If this is not an ideal long-term solution, at least try moving the devices closer temporarily to verify the signal strength is the problem. Sometimes moving each device even, a short distance may make a difference.
- Eliminate Obstructions: Install both devices where there are fewer objects and walls between them. If your router or Roku device is inside a cabinet, it’s better to take it out. Reducing the number of obstructions will improve signal strength.
- Adjust Router Antennas: If your router has one or more external antennas, try re-orienting the antennas and check the signal strength.
- Try an Elevated Location: Try moving your router and/or Roku device to a higher location in the room.
- Move Away from the Tv: If your TV is located between the Roku device and the router, try moving the Roku device to a location where the TV is not blocking the wireless signal. If you are using a Roku Streaming Stick, move it away from your TV by installing the free HDMI extender cable.
For further help for technical support services related to Roku errors, don’t forget to visit our website Roku Support